About Madurai Industry
Madurai is the ancient Pandia Capital having history of more than 2500 years. The Present city of Madurai, Pandiya capital was founded by Kulasekara Pandian. It has seen many political changes. Madurai District was formed in the year 1823 and at present we have 3741 Sq. Km area spread in this district.
Madurai is the second largest city in Tamilnadu after Chennai. Madurai as it was then called as a huge District that comprising the present Districts of Dindigul, Theni, and Madurai. In order to make District Administration more effective and responsive, the Government have trifurcated this composite Madurai District into three Districts Dindigul was carved out during the year 1984. Theni District was separated during the year 1997.
Industrialisation of Southern Tamil Nadu
The Government of Tamilnadu with a missionary zeal evolved several missions like "The New Industrial Policy" and extended concessions to invite investments and provided incentives to the entrepreneurs interested in starting new industrial ventures by announcing that any investment in industry made for more than Rs. 250 crores, is eligible for tax concessions. But insofar the Southern Districts are concerned, if they start any industrial venture with an investment of Rs. 50 crores or more, there are incentives, VAT Concessions and soft loan with very low margin of interest at 0.1 % are provided. The Single Window Clearance was introduced to facilitate new industrial units to take of in no minute by removing constrains and bottle necks.
Important Socio-Economic Development In The District
The District has a very few reputed organizations in the private sector like T.V.Sundaram Iyengar & Sons, Madura Coats, Fenner (I) Ltd., George Oaks Ltd. etc. which are engaged in the production of variety of goods like tyres and tubes, machineries, textile, conveyor belts etc. and also provided employment opportunities.
The District offers ample scope for the field of textiles, readymade garments, bakery units, and floriculture, dairy and cold storage units, Agro and Herbal products, Granite stones, Blue metal jelly, Chamber bricks, Rubber and plastic based industries. There is also a very good scope for starting food processing and agro based industries.
The most appropriate technique for fostering rapid, balanced and decentralized development of SSI is setting up of the Industrial Estates.
In Madurai District, five industrial estates are functioning as follows.
- SIDCO Industrial Estate, K.Pudur, Madurai.
- SIDCO Industrial Estate, Kappalur, Madurai.
- Hosiery Industrial Estate, Uranganpatti, Madurai.
- Electrical & Electronic Industrial Estate, Kappalur
- Automobile Co-operative Industrial Estate, Kappalur.
Industrial Activities In Madurai District
By virtue of having infrastructure facilities and geographical climate, the following industrial activities are seems to be encouraging.
- Instant food mixes
- Bakery & biscuit
- Sugar candy and confectionery
- Cardamom oil, pepper oil.
- Fruit jams & jelly Tomato ketch up, juice, pickles
- Peanut candy
- Dehydration of fruits & vegetables
- Dairy product
- Potato chips & roasted cashew nuts
- Fruit squashes, cordials and fruit juices.
- Mushroom processing
- Jasmine cultivation and extraction
- Appalam/papadam manufacturing
- Cold Storage of Vegetables and fruits
- Detergent soaps
- Injection moulded plastic industrial items
- PVC—Electrical conduct pipes
- FRP—Light roofing
- Disposable cups & sauces
- Gummed paper tapes
- HDPE blow moulded containers, furniture
- Auto rubber moulded goods
- Rubber play balls
- Card Board cartons
- PVC—dairy covers, money pouches, spectacle frames
- Adhesives (rubber based)
- Liquid soap
- Zinc sulphate.
- Aluminum builders hardware
- Bolts & nuts
- Rolling shutters
- Automobile repaid workshops & servicing station
- Small springs used in various mechanisms
- Drums up to 60 litres capacity
- Ferrous and non-ferrous foundry unit
- Powder coating unit
- Printed circuit board
- Emergency lamps
- Small transformers for electronic application
- Assembling of digital clock
- Electronic ignition system for automobiles
- TV booster amplifier
- Cotton vests & briefs
- Readymade garments
- Industrial hand gloves
- Leather goods like hand bags, belts, key purses.
- Gear cuttings
- Plastic mouldings
- Machine shop for precision spares
- Motor rewinding
- Jigs for textile spares
- Heat treatment plant
- Material handling equipments
- Quality leather parts
- Diesel engine spare parts
- FRP articles and components.